Sunday, March 11, 2007

If I knew then what I know now...

I have been a little vague about describing myself here as to not give too many clues to who I might be. As I said before, living on Staten Island is like living in a small town. If you heard of six degrees of separation, Staten Island is probably 3 degrees. In any case, I would like to say a few things about myself which the reason why will be come apparent later in the post.

I like to think I am in reasonably good shape for my age. I have been lifting weights 3 times a week since my mid twenties as well as hitting a heavy bag. I am an avid bicycle rider, in season (and sometimes out). I ride a minimum of 12-15 miles at least 3 times a week (most times more). While I am on the stocky side most people will say I am built solid, a little extra padding around the waist but by no means fat. Now I mention this because…

Yesterday afternoon I found myself at the emergency room at the local hospital due to severe chest pains. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. After the customary 4 hours of tests it was determined I was not having a heart attack. If there is a God I thank him or her. The most they could say, it was possibly a pulled muscle as I still have some pain, but I will have to see my regular doctor on Monday. Up to this point I have reached middle age with none of the afflictions that effected my parent’s generation at this age. My father had passed away at the age I am at now.

I am not sure where I going with all this just needed to get it out of my system. I suppose the stress of my “coming out” could be playing a role in my physical health. In any case this episode got my wife and me communicating after our little blow out yesterday. This whole thing got me thinking about when we are young we do take for granted our health and think we will always have it no matter what. I remember hearing many times that “youth is wasted on the young”. Man, if I knew then what I know now?

No comments: